Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Secrets of the Past: Mother's Diary


Uncover the Secrets of the Past: Mothers Diary! A main character of this game receives an unusual birthday gift from her foster parents - a letter written by her real mother. The girl desperately wants to know the truth about her origins and begins her own investigation. It seems that all roads lead her to a haunted and abandoned mansion. A terrible tragedy occurred in that place many years ago. But old houses keep secrets well! This is a story about love, death, treachery and lies. Can a young and innocent girl unravel the dangerous secrets of the past? 

----

The game was very, very short and it had a lot of glitches and problems while I was playing. But... I made it to the end.


The graphics were okay. There weren't too many scenes to move through and the story was very, very straight forward. I expected to find a little more in the mystery, but you can easily guess the ending (or what the main character wanted to find out) in the first few scenes of the game. The scenes were just images, like the rest of the game. All you had was a simple list, and simple items to get. There were plenty of HO scenes and they were at least drawn very nicely, like the rest of the game.

There were not too many puzzles in the game, and while some were challenging, most were not. One of the most challenging aspects of the game is that there is no walkthrough in the game, so if you get lost, you;re kind of lost.

Their hint meter was shown as an eye, which was a locket that was given to you in the beginning of the game. You can tell ho soon you'll get your hint back, by how wide open the eye is. It was cute, and pretty creepy, because the eye follows your mouse movments all around the screen. A hint is not wasted if you use it in an area where you have nothing to do, instead it will tell you that you have nothing to do here. When you are in the correct area, it will show you what you sould be doing there.

There were no vocals in the game, and the music wasn't that great. It repeated most of the tracks already played in the game throughout every scene. When one song ended, there was a pause of silence, and shortly after, the next song would play again.

Most of the people scenes we get to see involve ghosts and images of the past to tell the story. The main character responds on what she saw and we go on from there.

There's not too much of a reason to replay this game. There are no extras and there's nothing you could possibly miss, unless you want to go back and retry some of the challenges that were in the game. Some of the weird things about this game also included the names of the items and the items themselves. Some item names were odd and didn't look a whole lot like what you would expect that item to look like. A lot of the same items appear around, and you pick them up multiple times, even the same item you already picked up in that area.

Some of the glitches I encountered were:

  • When I first started the game, I could not get past the first room. My screen would freeze. I easily remedied this by re-installing the game.
  • The mouse is a bit weird in game. Sometimes you'll click something and it might click.. beside it or not click the item at all, you have to give this several tries.
  • My last big problem I encountered in game was the clock weights (pendulums). I put them all in, as I was supposed to, and it kept telling me I was missing one. I know what I was supposed to do there, but it wouldn't let me. Sure enough, I found out that the answer was to click to the left of the zoomed in clock, and I got what I needed in that area. If I go through this again (which I might), I'll post up if I get a different outcome when I do this.


Fun:         1
Sound:      2
------Music: 2
------Vocals: NONE
Visual:       3
Challenge: 2
Story:        3
Length:       2
Hint: Very fast

2.1 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment